[luau] Re:Ben (maddog)

Benjamin Kinsey bk at bksy.com
Mon Apr 7 00:55:00 PDT 2003

> From: "maddog" <maddog at heavymetalradio.net>
> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 12:22:40 -1000

Hi Don,

> Ben,
>
> First off I need to understand what it is you are saying. Are you
offering a
> lab environment where we can train you and others to adminster Linux
boxes?

Well, no lab environment actually exists.  It would have to be created
out of what we have and what we can get.  With convincing, I feel I
could get some space made available for a Linux lab that would be used
for a variety of purposes including community and student training, and
internal HDOE training.  This is what I am exploring.  As for my
training, I will do my best to be a good student at whatever is Open
Source and whatever training I can get, so I can help pass it on to
others.  I am looking to take a Linux class and I am actively exploring
other ways of sponging up whatever information I can get.  I feel my
nature is that I would be able to teach others Linux (if only I could
understand it better first), and this is an educational point of view:
if I can't understand Linux with my Computer Science degree, how can I
expect others who are more intimidated by computers in general to learn
it good enough (whatever that means)?  So in learning Linux, I am
approaching from the point of view of: how can I get others to
understand this?  I have a lot of other non-Linux duties, so I need to
allocate my time carefully.

> Software abounds for educational purposes, I believe a few weeks back
there
> was a publicized article I read on how Linux has been implemented in
may
> schools and how much educational software is available. Linux was
developed
> in the labs of major Academic institutions so that shouldn't be a
problem.

Yes, open source educational software would be a huge bonus if we could
get it used.  The best I can do at this point is explore what is out
there.

> On the lighter side, I saw a signature on a bulletin board where I
ask a lot
> of questions and BTW is a great resource (www.justlinux.com), the sig
said,
> "if you have a problem open source can't solve, you have the wrong
problem".
> That pretty much sums up my view.

I admire your enthusiasm.  I am actually encouraged in general by the
positivity of the people I've met around HOSEF.  This industry in this
economy sometimes seems like it is in bad need of enthusiasm.  And what
better way to be positive than with Open Source?

> I think Warren can point you to educational software sites as he
works in
> education.
>
> Warren?
>
> Don