[luau] DOE and the compromised Linux box

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Sun Apr 6 19:50:01 PDT 2003

Whenever the topic of the DOE and Linux comes up, the story about
how a single Linux was "hacked" in the past gets mentioned.

Does anyone know the story behind this urban legend? I am
concerned this piece of FUD (fear, uncertainy, and doubt) is
hurting the cause.

Any unmaintained operation system is a security risk. Even
OpenBSD is susceptible to compromises. ("Only one remote hole in
the default install, in more than 7 years!")

My first question when I heard this was "Where is the firewall?"
I am not promoting M&M security (hard on the outside, soft on the
inside), but a simple firewall should have mitigated the risks of
a newbie installing Linux on the LAN and forgetting about it.

-Vince