[luau] ics412: operating systems

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Mon Sep 30 07:57:00 PDT 2002

Well, I can't say that I have any particular beef with Professor Gilbert
's attitude towards Linux.  I haven't heard him make any negative
remarks about Linux to date, except for this recent statement that he's
thinking (going to?) partially (completely?) switch the course back to
the emulator because Linux programming seems to hard for the students,
who I guess only have one sophomore level course in C programming?

Just from taking his course, I wouldn't know that he's a pro-uSoft guy,
he doesn't (or should say "I haven't heard him") make any remarks about
it in either direction.  He has said that he's not overly familiar with
Linux, and is relying on his TA's a lot.  The course is on operating
systems, and they're using Linux as a teaching tool.  It just seems like
it's just such an ideal tool for the purpose of the class, it's
frustrating to imagine taking two steps back.

Uhm, don't know how anybody will take this, but I've often wondered if
the geography of UH is part of the problem.  UH is definitely an
"off-campus" school, as compared to most other college/universities that
I know of.  Most of the students *seem * (I have no factual basis for
this, just from meeting people I've gotten this impression) to be from
Oahu, and at the end of the "school day" they go home or do other
things.  At other U's, you have a majority of students who aren't from
the surrounding area, and are basically stuck on campus.  This tends to
breed a more academic culture made up of kids who get into their field
of study a lot more, particularly in the comp-sci/EE area, where they
experiment and play around with stuff a lot.   Just my take on it though.

-Charles