[luau] Red Hat 8.0 release Monday

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Sep 29 23:19:00 PDT 2002

Sometime Monday (not exactly sure when) the 8.0 directory on mirrors
worldwide will open for download.  Red Hat 8.0 presents a significant
upgrade in desktop Linux from Red Hat 7.3, even better than Mandrake 9.0 in
some ways.

Some of the nice new upgrades:
Apache 2.0
Gnome 2.0 (heavily modified)
gcc 3.2

Among some other notable improvements are the inclusion of SpamAssassin and
SquirrelMail.  This means that out-of-the-box Red Hat can give people their
own personal fetchmail/procmail/spamassassin/imap/squirrelmail combo.

Perhaps the only drawback is that the MP3 player plugins had to be removed
for legal reasons.  That's okay, because you can download easy to install
packages from other places to restore this functionality in XMMS.  The
Freshrpms site has the xmms-mp3 plugin, DVD player and some other neat
custom packages ready for Red Hat 8.0.
http://freshrpms.net/

I highly recommend reading the RELEASE-NOTES of Red Hat after the mirror
opens up.  It is very long and details the many improvements in many areas.
I've been working on the betas for this release, and even I was surprised by
the vast improvements made since the last beta.

Download (mirrors open sometime Monday)
========
ftp://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors/redhat/linux/8.0
University of Hawaii Videl mirror (limit 10 connections)

Oceanic mirror (limit 50 connections) is open only to Hawaii RoadRunner and
Oceanic network customers.  Unfortunately there seems to be some router
setting severely limiting bandwidth at the moment, but I think Doug or Jeff
will resolve this issue quickly.
ftp://mplug.oceanic.com/mirrors/redhat/linux/8.0

Internet2 Mirror, use this if you are on UH campus or another Internet2
connected educational institution.
http://redhat.dsi.internet2.edu/8.0

Interational List of mirrors can be found here:
http://freshrpms.net/mirrors/psyche.html