[luau] Mandrake 9 and Presario 711

Alvin Murphy amurphy at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Sep 28 13:37:01 PDT 2002

Having problems with Mdk 9 and hoping for some help. Installed very
smoothly on my Presario 711, seems to be overheating a little less than
RH 7.3, sound works, found my smb printer, etc.. But, very strange, in
RH 7.3 I can easily copy files from other linux box or either win
machine using "smb://<hostname>"; this does not work so well in Mandrake
and when it does, i.e. shows me the other shares, the drop down no
longer has "copy to" only "copy" (to clipboard) and when I try to past
to my home directory it asks for pass words, none of which work.
Strange, because in RH 7.3 in both Nautilus and Konqueror the drop down
box has "copy to" and works fine; can't remember if it asks for a
password, but if it does, it works. This is really a problem because I
keep a lot of rpms and other stuff on the other machines. Appreciate any
help.  Btw, I have tried messing with smb.conf, but never quite sure
what to do about passwords. Long ago, I set up the win machines for no
encryption, so I always change that option in smb.conf; not sure what
else to do. Thanks