[luau] Eldred v. Ashcroft in Supreme Court

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sat Sep 28 11:35:01 PDT 2002

The "Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act" otherwise known as the
"Mickey Mouse Protection Act" is going to Supreme court.

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/27/2238219&mode=thread&tid=123
http://eldred.cc

According to our U.S. Constitution copyright is supposed to give a
temporary monopoly over a works for a limited amount of time.
Unfortunately the length of this copyright term has been extended many
times by Congress, currently 95 years for all current and future
copyrights.

Many people including I feel that 95 years is far too long for a
"limited term".  This is the result of abusive lobbying by corporates
and content producers who want copyright to last forever, so they can
forever extract revenue from works.  This stifles innovation and will
prevent future generations from innovating, which generally builds upon
works in the past.

http://www.eff.org/IP/freeculture/
If this doesn't make any sense to you, please visit the above page and
watch Lawrence Lessig's (Professor of Law at Stanford Law School) speech
at the Oreilly Open Source Convention about "Free Culture".  This is one
of the most eye-opening speeches that I've ever heard.  The Flash
version is particularly effective with animation and speech
synchronized.

http://lessig.org/
Also check out Lessig's homepage here.

Warren Togami