[luau] sendmail question

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Thu Sep 26 10:27:00 PDT 2002

On Thursday 26 September 2002 07:18 am, Rodney Kanno wrote:
> currently office does a lot of email forwarding to other people in the
> office. When this happens, the forwarded email gets sent outside of the
> office to the ISP, and then comes back in. If I configure the linux machine
> to handle all incoming and outgoing email, is it possible to get it to
> recognize that all email for a cetain domain is "local" and thus goes
> straight to that person's inbox, thereby eliminating the need to send the
> email out and back in?

If your internal linux box has a legitimate domain name, then it can be your
mail transfer agent (smtp).  If you set it up to be your domain server, then
your email requests for people on your lan will stay within your lan.  You
can probably set up your mta to keep this email internal without a dns server
running, but I don't know it.

If you don't have a legitimate domain name, you can setup accounts for your
users on the linux box and use it for internal email.  You can create a
domain name for it and place this domain name in the lmhosts file of your
clients.  Then, you set up another, private email account for them in your
favorite open sourced email app and teach them to use it for internal email.

There is probably a better way that I don't know about.

scott