[luau] Re: imap

Eric Jeschke jeschke at portcullis.uhh.hawaii.edu
Thu Sep 26 10:25:00 PDT 2002

vanilla imap is an insecure protocol, unless you only run it in secure
mode (imaps, port 993).  If anyone sniffs your regular unencrypted imap
traffic they will not only be able to intercept your email, but possibly
to login to your account (e.g. if you have ssh enabled and are only
requiring password authentication (another good reason to require key
authentication)).  This does not apply if the account does not allow
remote logins (e.g. cyrus imap).

I HIGHLY recommend that if you access imap to a login account over the
internet that you run it in secure mode, tunnel it over ssh, or in some
way secure it.

***Note that this applies to squirrelmail over regular http too***.  You
   should only run squirrelmail over secure http (https).  On our server
   we do not allow squirrelmail to be accessed via http, only https.

--Eric

--
Eric Jeschke
http://cs.uhh.hawaii.edu/~jeschke