[luau] Throw Away Microsoft Word

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Fri Sep 20 19:51:01 PDT 2002

<You might be interested in this link: (.doc file viewer)

http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/wd97vwr32.aspx

Much cheaper than buying MSO licenses, I think.

--Ray >

Thanks Ray.  This is very useful info.

For further info, those Word/Excel viewers also work under Codeweavers'
Crossover Office.  I suppose they should work under the plain vanilla
WINE as well.

For some reasons (I can't remember exactly what, as it has been a
while), we were using ViewPlus instead of Microsoft's own viewers to view
.doc files.

For relatively uncomplicated documents, both MS' Word viewer and ViewPlus
should do a very job.  However, for simple documents, why should anyone
use Word anyway?  KWord 1.2 should suffice.

Another problem with the viewers is that, if the document is password
protected, then you can only use Microsoft Word to open it.  Unfortunately
most of the .doc files we receive fall into this category.