[luau] Throw Away Microsoft Word

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Fri Sep 20 10:07:01 PDT 2002

Again, as I mentioned earlier, Microsoft Office achieved its ubiquity
exactly because .doc files have been "ubiquitously" exchanged among
computer users as though the .doc format were a "cyber currency".

I used to (and still do) receive .doc files from my corporate clients,
my co- and opposing counsels, my book editors, et cetera, et cetera.
 You name it, and the list goes on and on.

Because a .doc file can retain its "exact" formatting only if you open
it with Microsoft Word (StarOffiice does an incredible job, but, believe
me, some formatting is still lost), we have had to purchase and install
MSO in each and every one of our gd'd machines, only so that we can
ensure the .doc files can be opened exactly as they were written.  (We
are still using WordPerfect, Word, as expensive as it is, has no use for
us, except for openning .doc files.)

We have always heard that Linux will never become a desktop OS because
Microsoft will not port MSO to Linux.

Perhaps, with the recently revealed info about Microsoft Word, this
(that Microsoft will not port MSO to Linux) should be regarded as a
blessing!