[luau] Apache question

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Sep 18 15:33:00 PDT 2002

Rodney Kanno wrote:

>I am trying to set-up a Linux workstation as a intranet web server on a NT
>network, but I cannot figure out how to make the web server accessible
>through a virtual host name.

Actually, for future reference "virtual" isn't correct in this context.

>Apache is installed and is accessible by entering in the IP address as
>
>the URL, but I would like to make it accessible by typing in a name rather
>
>than numbers.

Okay, you've got two options.

1) Add an entry to every machine's
%SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts file for your
webserver. It has the same format as /etc/hosts on linux boxes.
for example:

221.222.223.224     mywebserver

You might want to do this if your intranet is small.

2) Run a nameserver that all your clients are configured to use and then
just create a zone for your
intranet, and query outside nameservers for all other requests (and
cache them for performance).

You might want to do this if you have a larger intranet.

Once you've got it working, then add "ServerName mywebserver" (or
whatever) to your apache
configuration file.

>Do I need Samba installed for this?

No.  Samba handles matters dealing with Netbios.  This is a matter
dealing with hostnames.

--Ray