[luau] New Linux Worm Threatens Serious Denial Of Service Attacks Sept. 16, 2002

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Sep 18 14:06:00 PDT 2002

Warren Togami wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 20:59, Ronnie T Livingston wrote:

snip

> In general there are tremendous time management benefits in sticking to
> packages.  When these security alerts are released, protecting yourself
> is a trivial amount of effort.  Alternatively you can keep around the
> source trees that you used to install your 3rd party software, so
> applying patches and re-installing is fairly quick.

I can attest to this.  I run slackware variants (basically my own distro
in the end) on most of my Linux boxes because of the weird networking
things I do (the major distros just don't like setting up tun/tap
bridges and such in their startup scripts).  This is nice from a config
standpoint, as I can do basically whatever I want, but updating things
is a pain.  I have to recompile and reinstall all the relevant
programs/libs by hand every time a security bug comes out.

snip

--MonMotha