[luau] Automated Updating tools

Autumn autumn at operamail.com
Wed Sep 18 09:13:01 PDT 2002

I agree, there's no excuse for not applying patches and updates.

Of course, it's worth noting that if you're going to use these convenient automated updating tools, you should ensure you're making comprehensive backups prior to running them.  I've been burned by up2date one too many times where the tool has updated and destroyed a custom configuration file without making a backup or, in it's most recent romp through my system, it backed up and updated Tripwire, and then sent /etc/tripwire off to /dev/null.  No more Tripwire. ::sigh:: (And of course, I didn't have the files backed up anywhere.  I should follow my own advice.)

<snip>

>Almost every Linux distribution now has some type of automated updating tool, most of which are as easy as point & click.  Here's a list of several:

>Red Hat		up2date
>Mandrake	rpmdrake or urpmi
>SuSE		YAST2
>Debian		apt-get
>Conectiva	apt-rpm
>Gentoo		emerge

>Spend a small amount of effort now and figure out how these automated updating tools work. Much better than spending much effort later after your box gets cracked, data destroyed, your bandwidth wasted and personal information stolen.
<snip>

Download the FREE Opera browser at www.opera.com/download/

Free OperaMail at http://www.operamail.com/