[luau] Internet Junkbuster conflict with Yahoo Groups

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Sep 15 23:31:00 PDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 23:05, Ben Beeson wrote:

> 	I checked and I had some other cookies from Yahoo and others in my cookie
> file so I know cookies work.  Just for grins, I disabled my Internet
> Junkbuster and everything worked just fine with the login to Yahoo. However,
> what a pain that was -- I was immediately flooded with a bazillion pop ups
> etc....  Anyway, it struck me as odd that only that particular cookie
> transaction would fail and all other cookies seem to work just fine.

I had experimented with junk buster proxies in the past, but lately I
have only used Mozilla's pop-up protection feature with fairly good
results.

I personally think that any proxy that modifies page content, especially
by modifying javascript, is bound to cause problems in some
circumstances.  I think you may have better results with a proxy that
only replaces ad banners with blank images of the same size, combined
with Mozilla pop-up protection.

Mozilla > Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Scripts & Plugins contains the
features that generally protects you from annoying javascript.  The
"Open unrequested windows" option does a good job of doing just that,
preventing unrequested pop-ups from popping up (or under).  It does so
by preventing certain onload() operations from occurring.  Earlier
versions would break certain web pages like UH PAE
http://www.pae.hawaii.edu that uses onload() in order to load the
contents of the other frames, but 1.0.0 and later seem to work
properly.  This pop-up protection also doesn't prevent REQUESTED pop-ups
like when you click on something within a page.  Several of the other
options in that dialog are useful in protecting yourself from hostile or
misleading pages too.