[luau] Re: linux on a Compaq 722US

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Sep 12 22:08:00 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 10:41, Scott Norris wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Thanks a lot for your review; I found it on Google, and it is very
> helpful to read of others' experiences with this laptop.  I especially
> enjoy your commentary on anti-competitiveness, but that's another
> issue.  On that line, though, you mentioned in the article that it would
> be possible to re-burn the first rescue disk with the modified files to
> get around the DriveImage encryption.  It's not immediately obvious to
> me how to preserve the CD's 'bootability' during the re-burn.  I know
> that you can pass a boot image file to mkisofs somehow, but I'm not sure
> what or where that would be.  If this is fairly simple, I think a lot of
> people would enjoy hearing about it; perhaps you could update your site
> or something?  Just a thought.
>
> Sincerely,
> scott norris

Sorry I'm a bit busy to answer this question fully right now especially
because I'm not very familiar with mkisofs's options, but I forwarded
this to my LUG.  They'll hopefully have an answer for you an answer
soon.

It would involve copying the El Torito floppy image from the CD (not
exactly sure how), modifying the CD data and copying everything back
into an ISO image with mkisofs, then burn.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
Alternatively I heard from some people that this shareware utility
called BootIt can resize NTFS safely.  I have never tried it, so do it
at your own risk.  If you can resize your NTFS, you wont need to go
through the trouble of modifying your Compaq restore disks.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com

p.s.
If someone replies, please CC Scott Norris.