[luau] Zip drive experiences

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Sep 11 11:21:00 PDT 2002

Ben Beeson wrote:
> Thanks for your other help.
>

>>However, if you use devfs, you'll want to make sure you have a disk in
>>at boot time so devfs makes the device nodes.  I still cannot figure out
>>how to make it make the device nodes later on (including hdparm -z, the
>>whole block device doesn't exist, not just individual partitions).
>

> Would /usr/sbin/kudzu fix this???

Not running redhat, but it seems to be a kernel issue.  The kernel sees
the drive at startup (ATAPI floppy) but doesn't see a partition table or
any media, so it makes no device node.  This could probably be remedied
by compiling ATAPI floppy support as a module and loading it when needed
(after a disk has been inserted).

--MonMotha