[luau] How to dispose of Win 2K license on new linux machine

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Tue Sep 10 15:11:01 PDT 2002

I think the idea behind the refund clause is that "If you're not going to
use our software properly (following all the other conditions in the EULA),
then we really don't want you using it, so you should return it."  Its more
of a "if you don't use it properly, don't use it at all, and don't bug us
about it" than a "we recognize that you may not want this, and are therefore
happy to give you the money (that you didn't directly pay) back."
Furthermore, if the hardware companies get bulk discounts, microsoft isn't
going to pay you retail for the software.  Basically, I think you probably
agreed to own it when you bought the computer.  Its a bulk deal.  You can't
buy a pack of 10 fruit rollups at the grocery store for $1, then tell the
store that you only ate 9 of them, so you'll exchange the last one back to
them for 10c.  EULA's are about restricting rights, not giving additional
rights out, so I doubt there's any way you could convince them to take it
back.  You could try a class-action lawsuit, but I doubt that's worth the
trouble.

-Eric Hattemer