[luau] How to dispose of Win 2K license on new linux machine

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Sep 9 17:54:01 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 17:24, MonMotha wrote:

> You can't legally resell it.  The liscense is tied to that machine
> permenantly.
>

> However, you can attempt to get a refund.  There was an event a while
> back where people supposedly lined MS headquarters and made them write
> checks after MS insisted that it was Dell's repsponsibility.
>
> Make sure you NEVER clicked "OK" on that EULA though because once you
> have you forfeit your right to the refund.
>
> --MonMotha

I think the "Not For Resale" clause has been ruled invalid in the
country of Germany, and perhaps some US states.  Does anyone remember
this?

But yes, you can't resell it in Hawaii. Best you can do is constantly
annoy Microsoft and demand your refund as stated you should be able to
receive in your EULA... unless the EULA has changed since then.  Please
read the EULA and check.

Here's a bit of history regarding "Windows Refund Day" where LUG's
around the nation marched to Microsoft offices and demanded refunds.
Well written story and many pictures about the Bay Area march.
http://marc.merlins.org/linux/refundday/

On the page are several news reports from ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox
described to be fairly good, showing both sides of the story.  Their
downloads are somewhat slow, so I am currently mirroring the files onto
Videl.  The movies should be at the URL below in about an hour.

ftp://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/mplug/archive/2002/refundday/

Warren