[luau] Dual Booting WinXP/MDK

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Sun Sep 8 22:23:01 PDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-09-08 at 22:00, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> I forgot to provide the follow-up on my own question.
>
> With GRUB, the only thing I needed to do in order to dual boot b/t
> Mandrake (8.2) and WinXP is: NOTHING.  GRUM did all the work by default.

GRUB in Red Hat 7.3 will also it by default, but only with FAT32
Windows.  They forgot to add NTFS detection to the 7.3 installer.  I
complained and you can expect this auto-detection to work as expected
the upcoming next Red Hat version.

Unfortunately in Red Hat 7.3 you must add a chain loader entry manually
to your /boot/grub/grub.conf file.  Fortunately this isn't too hard.  My
/boot/grub/grub.conf reads:

default=0
timeout=10                                                                      splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz                                     title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
	root (hd0,2)
	kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
	initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img
title Windows XP
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1

I didn't like GRUB at first, but now I absolutely will never go back to
LILO.  GRUB simply rocks.