[luau] Zip drive experiences

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sun Sep 8 14:57:01 PDT 2002

Ben Beeson wrote:
> Aloha,
>
>     I need to add a Zip drive to my box. Does anyone have any experience
> running one?  I am considering either an internal IDE or a USB drive, but
> before I plunk down my $$$ I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of any
> showstoppers.

I have an IDE one and it works fine.  The experiences I've had with SCSI
ones haven't been very good, but that's mostly due to SCSI controller
difficulties (using ages old non-PnP ISA SCSI controllers in a PII PCI
system isn't pretty).  I have bascially no expereince with USB ones but
they should be supported.  Of course check before purchasing.

However, if you use devfs, you'll want to make sure you have a disk in
at boot time so devfs makes the device nodes.  I still cannot figure out
how to make it make the device nodes later on (including hdparm -z, the
whole block device doesn't exist, not just individual partitions).

If anyone has any solution to this I'd be happy.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ben

--MonMotha