[luau] Beware of Using Word 97

Dean Fujioka surfdean at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Sep 7 17:46:01 PDT 2002

On Saturday 07 September 2002 08:18, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> You missed the point George.  This macro-virus problem inherent in
> Word97 (and we don't know whether a similar problem exists with
> Word2K/WordXP) has nothing to do with internet connection.
>
> Using a separate computer will not solve this problem.

I think a separate computer would solve the problem.  If you have all of your
important documents, work, TOP SECRET stuff, etc on a computer that never has
and never will see the internet, a modem, or a NIC, there is no way for a
program on another computer to gather said info and wrap it in a word doc.
I had a CS prof who was extra paranoid in this fashion, and had two separate
computers. One for the important work stuff, another that can be blown away
connected to the internet.
In today's workplace, you are correct; this is not feasible because we don't
all get to have two computers, or need the productivity boost gained by
having it all on one PC. But, the goverment, (and I believe others on this
list know better) has their TOP SECRET network that never sees the internet,
and then they have the rest of their PC's.  I think it's a tradeoff between
paranoia and convinience.

dean