[luau] IMPORTANT - Upcoming List Policy

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Thu Sep 5 20:06:03 PDT 2002

It seems to me that so far there has been a great mixture of basic and
advanced discussions.  Some things are over my head, and some things are
under it.  This seems a great way to know where one's head is.

Hopefully there will continue to be many newcomers to the list totally
intimidated by linux.  Surely someone will always ask where the
linuxinstall.exe file is.  It will be great when Monmotha and others discuss
advanced iptable scripts.  I look forward to being confused when Ray
entertains a  complicated programming question.  I plan to be perplexed by
the subtleties that come with any culture.  This has been an exceedingly
civil group - a tone that is set well by Warren and the rest of you.

This is a linux mailing list.  There are so many types of linux users that I
hope they/we are always welcome to post as everyone always has - honestly and
with civility - regardless of the complication or depth of geekness.  The
more I am confused and blown away, the more certain I become that I have more
to learn.  What better place to discover this than within an evolving and
learning linux community.(?)  Every "newbie" learns and grows.  If the
newcomers are educators targeted by our LTSP for schools project, don't we
think that these professionals know something about the learning process.  No
need for watering down here.

The eventual Upcoming List Policy will not need to say much.  No more than a
few intellectual objectives you all have and the means by which a group
member can help to achieve them.  I would personally want a method or
protocol to exist that would inform me if I misbehaved.  Perhaps a future
steering committee member would do that on the rare occassions required.

Basically, all comments should be invited by any means possible.

scott