[luau] IMPORTANT - Upcoming List Policy

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Thu Sep 5 19:40:01 PDT 2002

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002 cpaul at telemetrybox.org wrote:
>I will not support efforts to water down geek culture for the sake of
>keeping appearances with the bourgeois.  Tactically speaking, an informal
>prohibition against some of the 'baser' elements of geek language and
>culture might be a good way to attract and retain total newbies.

I agree that there should be a forum where 'geek' culture can express
themselves without fear.  But it all depends on the goals.

>Strategically however, it will be a bad move.

If the Luau list is going to be used as the Linux For Schools discussion
list, then I am reminded of the honey vs. vinegar saying.  There is a
target audience for this project, and they ARE NOT the 'geek' culture.
It would be very sad if the Linux for Schools project failed because it
was associated with a mailing list where 'geek' culture alienated the that
niche group.  I don't think this has happened yet.  I would prefer to
avoid this situation than to have this group of people leave in disgust.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org