[luau] improving sustainable write to disk rates

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Wed Sep 4 11:06:00 PDT 2002

Charles Lockhart wrote:
> Can anybody recommend ways of improving write to disk performance under
> Linux?  I've got a system with dual scsi drives attatched via RAID
> controller set to level 0 (striping), and am getting what I consider to be
> pretty low long term data rates for what should be a high performance
> system.

What kind of RAID controller?  If it has an upgradable cache (like my
MegaRAID can actually take fast page SIMMs), by all means upgrade it!
64MB of cache can do amazing things for smaller (a few hundred megs)
writes :)

Also, you'd be amazed what setting things with hdparm can do (at least
for IDE drives).  However, cache is a HUGE factor in sustained write
performance.

> re: Upcoming List Policy, what do you mean by trimming?

Trim out the irrelavent sections of the post when quoting a reply (as is
customary on mailing lists).  Basically, if a post mentions something
that you don't address, or if there is a lot of extra stuff from a
poster two iterations back (IE you are replying to a reply), you shoudl
trim off the stuff that's not relevant.  Your post should contain
sufficient context to allow the message to be read without traversing
back up the thread, but for a person who wants more info, they can
always keep reading the parent posts.

> Thanks,
>
> -Charles

Not a problem.