[luau] M$ secret code....

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Sep 4 08:53:00 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 06:48, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:

> Windows p-n-p oftentimes can cause more trouble than good.  One of the
> worst pitfalls of Windows' p-n-p is that it has the propensity to treat
> you like an idiot, insisting that it is right and you're wrong, refusing
> to accept the driver you supplied.

Another annoying aspect of windows p-n-p that I have run into is with
Win2k and WinXP, if you install it on one machine, it is exceedingly
difficult to transfer that hard drive to another machine, and get to a
stage where it will re-detect and configure devices again.  Several
times I was forced to do a repair or reinstall in cases like this, even
between two motherboards with the same chipset and peripherals.  In my
experience this caused a blue screen of death every boot up attempt,
even in Safe Mode.

Within Linux it is fairly straight forward to move a hard drive from one
computer to another.  Most devices will be auto-detected and configured
by Kudzu, and the main thing may break is the swap partition which may
need to be renamed in /etc/fstab.  It has worked this way for me in RH
and Mandrake at least.

There however is probably a way of booting Windows that "forgets" about
all prior devices.  I didn't have enough time to look deeply into the
documentation at the time.