[luau] Firewalls

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Oct 28 17:12:00 PST 2002

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 16:50, Randall Oshita wrote:

> What would be good (above average) specs for a PC hardware Linux router?
> So hardware would be the BIGGEST difference between a "real" and a Linux
> router correct? In terms of security can they be considered similar?
>  Thanks.
>
> Randall Oshita

I would recommend minimally a Pentium with two bus mastering PCI slots
and two decent PCI 10/100 NIC's.  You must be careful because it is easy
to find Pentiums that don't properly use bus mastering on two PCI
slots.  For example if a PCI slot is immediately next to an ISA slot,
that is shared and it isn't bus mastering.  Some BIOS'es will show or
allow configuration of bus mastering too.

As far as security goes, general rules apply just like any other Linux
box.  Keep all your packages updated at all times, disable all
unnecessary services, NEVER USE FTP OR TELNET into the box, and maintain
a very minimal amount of open ports through firewall rules.