[luau] Firewalls

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Mon Oct 28 14:18:00 PST 2002

Randall Oshita wrote:
> I'm looking into improving security at my office.
> Someone before me implemented a Linksys router. I believe the Linksys is
> based soely on NAT and does no packet filtering (?).
> Anyways,
> How is a Linksys router compared to a Linux firewall (like MonMotha's
> famous script)?

Utterly crummy :)

Linux has the following that Linksys doesn't:
*Flexible Routing
*Dynamic Routing
*Stateful Filtering/Arbitary matching (See extensible)
*Flexible NAT
**Ability to Forward Arbitrary IP Protocols (not just ICMP, TCP, and UDP)
*Packet Mangling
*Extensible Archetecture (you can add stuff to it easily)
*QoS
**Rate Limiting
**Packet Prioritization
*Not tied to any specific harwdare (which is often slow)
*All sorts of physical media options (though not as many as a "real" router)

Disadvantages of a Linux router:
*General Purpose PC hardware more likely to fail
*More difficult to set up
*Higher power consumption (and consequentially, heat output)
*Can be slower than a dedicated router if extremely old hardware is used
*May not sit as well with the suits as a "packaged deal"

> Randall Oshita

Feel free to ask any additional questions on any (and/or all) point(s).

--MonMotha