[luau] Re: Disk Space on Videl...

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Oct 28 07:35:01 PST 2002

On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 21:18, Robert Robbins wrote:
> Warren,
>
> I have a few spare hard drives and was wondering what format is
> "videl"?
> SCSI or IDE? If it is SCSI, I have an extra 9Gb hard drive you can
> as my contribution to the Linux project.

Videl currently uses IDE and is capable of supporting drives up to 120GB
in size.  I currently have dozens of smaller drives unused, but
unfortunately it would be unwise to use in Videl for a two reasons.

1) Videl's case is too small and air circulation poor.
2) Smaller and older drives have a higher probability of failing sooner.

For these reasons sometime in the future I plan on getting a larger
server case (ATX) and adding additional 120GB hard drives.  It would be
a bit inefficient for power, controller usage and space to use smaller
drives that would only add 5% storage capacity.

I am thinking around late December after my college semester ends for
this upgrade.  (Damn, we would have to break Videl's uptime. =)

Sometime around then too we should replace the current temporary mirror
at ftp://mplug.oceanic.com with the permanent server.  The box there is
currently a weak Celeron with 64MB RAM and very tiny storage space.

Warren