[luau] MDK 9 & NVIDIA driver installation woes

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Sun Oct 27 19:12:01 PST 2002

Well...  The tainting message is no big deal.  That just means that you
no longer have an all-GPL kernel because of the nvidia closed source
driver.  Its no big deal except in very rare cases (ie. either you ask
the most hardcore kernel developers for help and they say you have a
tainted kernel and they won't help you, or you're so into GPL that you
couldn't possibly bare to see a non-GPL module in your kernel).

Now as for the X log, either it crashed before it could write the rest
to disk, or I imagine something is seriously wrong.  It shouldn't crash
that early in.  How about /var/log/XFree86.0.log ?

Try this...  Make sure your /etc/lilo.conf contains vga=791 ie:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/md0
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"
        vga=791
        read-only

And then set XFdrake to use the framebuffer driver (you could manually
set the lines in the XF86Config file, but I don't recall exactly what
that looks like).  I suppose its possible that the Mandrake team sets
GF2MX nforce to be framebuffer, but GF4 to be the nvidia generic
driver.  Framebuffer should work, but can be a bit tricky to set up.
It'll be "slow", though.  If you're doing 3d animations, games, etc, you
don't want this.  But if you're doing regular desktop apps and server
tasks, you'll be running at 100% apparent speed with the framebuffer
dev.

Its possible that Nvidia has yet to release a linux driver that properly
supports your hardware.  Then again, it might be anything else.

-Eric Hattemer