[luau] Postfix

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Oct 25 23:02:01 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 22:35, eXt wrote:

> I got postfix running!!!! I can send e-mails!!!
> .... but i cant recieve none....   :(
>
> is postfix smtp/pop server? or just smtp?

Postfix, like Sendmail, is only an SMTP server (MTA).

You need to run a separate POP3 or IMAP server to download or read mail
on the server.  I highly recommend IMAP rather than POP3 if you run your
own server.  Try it and you will see why.

In Red Hat or Mandrake the POP3 and IMAP servers are within the "imap"
package, and you need xinetd running for it to work.  After you have
installed those packages use these commands:
chkconfig xinetd on
service xinetd start
chkconfig imap on
chkconfig pop3 on

If you use other distributions I don't know what they name it.