[luau] ics412: operating systems

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Fri Oct 25 17:39:01 PDT 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, William N Luoma wrote:
>I suppose this might relate to how Eric H? was "complaining" about
>C++ being "hard to compile".

If so, then that's hardly a C++ language problem.  You can't blame a
language because some SA didn't install the tools correctly.

>I did some grepping around and it appears in versions before and after
>3.0.97 that std::_S_rb_tree_red was declared in stl_tree.h and defined
>there as well. In the current version, it is referenced as extern in
>stl_tree.h and defined in an "instantiation" file:
>libstdc++-v3/src/stl-inst.cc.

These versions seem to be the correct compatible versions.  Sounds like
there was a build problem.  Did you SA's build the library or just
installed binaries that were downloaded off the net?

>Clearly something is going on so that bits in this instantiation file are
>not getting included.

This is completely a library issue.  I don't see why an application have
to worry about this.  Variables with underscores in them are system
variables, and should not be used by applications.  So as long as you're
not using them, you should be fine.  Any problems that result are either
installation problems or mismatch in the tools.

>1) When libstdc++ is installed and built, how and where are these
>definitions in the instantiation files integrated into the library?

Does the .cc file get included at the end of the .h file?  I noticed older
g++ STL libraries do this.

>If I grep the .a and .so files, I can't find any reference to
>_Rb_tree_Color_type. Should it be greppable in these libs?

Yes, if the libs contain debug information.