[luau] Linux newbie seeks easy transition

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Oct 23 21:38:01 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 20:12, Ho'ala Greevy wrote:
> Eric's right, samba will take care of file/print sharing between all 3
> machines.  From what you've described, it sounds like the only additional
> hardware you'll need is the DSL "modem."
>
> As for your financial software and relunctance to jump into Linux, have
> you considered VNC?  It's free, it'll run on both Linux and Wintel, and
> it'll allow you to access your financial records without losing anything.
>
> In a nutshell... CHANCE 'EM!!

A bit of clarification, VNC is a free remote desktop program with
clients and servers available for any platform.  This means that you can
control your Windows desktop from your Linux desktop across the network,
and vice versa.

Unfortunately VNC Windows server has problems in refreshing the screen
because they don't know the secret API's used by Microsoft Terminal
Server.  If you VNC into Linux, MacOS or other versions of Unix you have
a very fast and responsive remote desktop, unfortunately it doesn't work
that way for Windows.

(I'm replying to your original post soon with more information.)