[luau] ics412: operating systems

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Wed Oct 23 18:30:01 PDT 2002

What I really meant by this is that C tends to compile just fine with
gcc and some kernel libraries.  C++ always requires odd libraries like
libstdc++, which change so often I can never get a C++ library version
that properly matches the version that was required for the program.
Redhat had an old compatibility C++ library, but I'm not sure if
mandrake has the same thing.  I tried to compile a program with some C++
in it a couple of days ago and it said I needed libstdc++4, and all I
have is version 5.  I tried linking 5->4, but it didn't like that
either.  This might have been an rpm.  I don't remember.  But I also
tried compiling a couple of versions of it and they had some problem
with gtk-config not being set up or something.  I don't quite recall,
but its not too important, so I gave up.

-Eric Hattemer