[luau] Samba as PDC, yadda yadda yadda

Myles Uyema luau at uyema.net
Tue Oct 22 20:01:01 PDT 2002

Vague, general questions will receive vague, general answers.

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, eXt wrote:
> I'm trying to use my Linux box as a PDC for my LAN, but I’m having problems getting samba to even share files.
Samba as a PDC is a fairly advanced step in Samba land.  You have to
create machine accounts for the actual Windows PCs:  smbpasswd -a -m
Then you have to create user accounts:  smbpasswd -a

I feel Workgroup mode is the way to go in a home setup.
You want to generally create samba user accounts with the same
name and password as they log into the Windows PC.

Samba user/machine accounts are kept in a separate file from
/etc/passwd.  Look for the smbpasswd file in /etc/samba/
There are two smbpasswd files.  The program and the user account file.

> I'm also not able to share my WAN connection; my PCs get an IP from the Linux box’s DHCP but no Internet... I tried using the "Server Wizard" included in mandrake 9 but its not working...
What errors do your PCs get when they discover "no Internet"?
Do your PCs get a DNS server or a gateway address through DHCP?
Run either "ipconfig /all" or "winipcfg" depending on the Windows OS.

> And to keep asking questions, I can’t get postfix to work!!! I’m using WEBMIN to try and set it up, but it aunt helping much...
Look in /var/log/* for error messages and try to post some relevant
logs.