[luau] SPRINT Novatel Merlin C201 CDMA card running under lInux...has extra port??? plus bonus 802.11 USB PITA USB on same notebook.

tongaloa tongaloa at atl.org
Tue Oct 22 04:36:01 PDT 2002

First...
If anyone is runnig this with SPRINT in Honolulu,
I'll appreciate hearing how it is working. I will not
be there again, before my 14 day return without
penalty option expires and if service is poor in
Honolulu, will not keep the card. I hear Verizon
is good but they have no coverage in Atlanta.

I've got the CDMA wireless running on my laptop/notebook
but am a bit confused regarding the PCMCIA card.

Cardctl reports 0x02f8 and 0x03e8 both at irq5
serial_cs catches 2f8 but fails on 3e8
setserial reports /dev/ttyS? as an 'unknown' UART
0x03e8 irq5 so something funny is going on...

I'm running ppp through the 2f8 port and wondering
what the other port is for, is it even there, what's the story,
anyone know?

This in a Fujitsu A1010 running RH8 (2.4.18-14 kernel)
Same behaviior in friends Thinkpad 760 with 2.4 kernel.

BTW, I captured the traffic while getting the card activated
under Win2K. If anyone likes, I can trim personal info
(once I get the darn 802.11 working) and post to a web site.

Speaking of 802.11 I'm having fits with the built in Prism2.5
set in this same A1010 laptop. Card is recognized but part
of the driver that communicates with it fails. If anyone on
the list has gotten this or the, supposedly same, Zcom
725 USB 802.11 adapter going, please let me know.
I'm on the linux wlan users mailing list and have looked at the
driver source (I'm not a 'C' programmer, just F77 and Basic).
and can't figure out what's going on.No USB debug option
in driver either...