[luau] Redhat 8.0 Japanese Input

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Oct 21 23:25:01 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-16 at 17:27, cpaul at telemetrybox.org wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> Today I met a Japanese user of our new Linux lab.  She was very
> impressed with the Japanese language support on our workstations, but
> she was a bit dissapointed to find she couldn't 'input' Kanji into
> Mozilla.

You need the following packages and all of its dependencies:
Canna-libs
Canna
kinput2-canna-wnn6

Then enable the Canna daemon:
chkconfig canna on
service canna start

In order for kinput2 XIM to work, kinput2 must be started in the
background of that user's session and the applications must be started
in a certain way.  I wrote myself a little script  called
/usr/local/bin/ja to do this for me.

#!/bin/bash
kinput2 -canna &
LANG=ja_JP XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2" $@

This step shouldn't be needed if you have Canna and kinput2 configured
properly and your system locale is set to ja_JP or ja_JP-UTF-8 in Red
Hat 8.0.  Red Hat is supposed to automatically handle kinput2 and the
necessary environment variables when it is used in this fashion. My "ja"
script is mainly needed for running Mozilla in Japanese mode while my
session is in English mode.

This current XIM system is fairly ugly to setup and use... but luckily
some engineers at Red Hat are working on a brand new replacement that
will be just as nice as Asian input in Windows or MacOS X.  Last I heard
this should be largely usable sometime early 2003.