[luau] nfs and samba

Myles Uyema luau at uyema.net
Mon Oct 21 16:43:00 PDT 2002

Quite fine.  Naturally, accessing the same file simultaneously through
NFS and Samba may bring up some locking issues, so try not to do that.

I find it generally easier to create windows usernames identical to the
unix usernames, as it makes user mapping much easier between Unix and
Windows.

Most likely you'll run Samba in Workgroup mode, and if you create samba
users (smbpasswd -a) with the same password as their Windows logins,
it's fairly easy to maintain permissions.

...And hinting at advanced topics, running Samba as a domain
controller, or possibly in conjunction with an XFS filesystem (Access
Control Lists for finer grain file permissions).

The www.samba.org FAQ will describe more, and refer you to yet more
mailing lists =)