[luau] Re: Graphic art design

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 18 02:35:00 PDT 2002

I think this message is right on target.  People want help, are willing
to pay for it, ask for it, and then are hit with an arrogant message
about "netiquette" by an essentially self appointed, self styled net
patrolman.  I can really relate to you (Neal & Gay) not wanting  to be
forced into several years of study trying to learn all the intricacies
of a comparatively complex operating system.  Plus this so called "spam"
is actually an opportunity for someone to earn some money.  Now I ask,
how can one person decide for all the others as to who in this group
would want to earn money and who wouldn't or how they might want to earn
it.  This mailing list should not be a place  where a single solitary
(self appointed) boss defines what you can or can not do.  As I said
before, I never considered the first message that was declared "spam" to
even be spam.  So I don't know.  I myself have been declared to be
deficient in netiquette because of some comparatively petty issues.  So
if "netnutiquette"  allows us to express an opinion here, I would
welcome all requests from people who are seeking help and especially
those who are willing to pay for it.  I myself was willing to pay for
help in getting my Linux system going when I first started.  At the time
I experienced a great deal of frustration, and got blasted too, so  I
can relate.

As for the help, all I can say is that I don't care for Red Hat, but
depending on your purposes it could be the best choice for what you are
trying to do.  I see RedHat as being popular with people wanting to set
up a sever or networked system, while some other distributions seem
stronger in the desktop and user friendliness arena.  In as much as you
are a dentist; and I presume comparatively well heeled,  you might
consider the Macintosh OS-X.  Having said that, I wouldn't use it myself
because I don't care to be locked into expensive proprietary hardware
and software, but it probably is much more intuitive and user friendly.
 So if you need to or are willing to pay for help, then perhaps the
investment in a hardware and intuitive software might actually turn out
to be more economical in the long run.  Don't get me wrong,  I do use
Linux exclusively on my home PC, but my choice is based primarily on
economic, political, and security reasons.  I use Linux because it will
run on standard clone PC's and there is a competitive environment
amongst the various distributions, and in the long run, the effort
required to learn it should be well worth it, if in fact Linux
application software can do whatever task you need to accomplish.

Neal & Gay Timon wrote:

> Perhaps my experience will give another perspective on your "spam"
> discussion.
>

> I went to Comp USA the Sunday your group was there.  I was considering
> upgrading my windows operating system and spoke to two of your
> members.  Our discussion impressed me, and I decided to purchase the
> Red Hat Linux software.  I also attended one of your classes but found
> I didn't have enough knowledge to benefit  (I'm sure most of you can
> relate to a class where you don't feel knowledgeable enough to even
> ask a question).
>

> It was suggested that I subscribe to this group  where I could ask for
> help etc.  I'm just an older dentist trying to benefit from what I
> still perceive to be benefits of this system.  I want to get it
> working but am not interested in spending countless hours learning all
> the details about a new operating system right now.
>

> I was also considering asking about hiring someone to help me (you
> students must still be hungry and need money).  That isn't my idea of
> spam, but it may not be something you want on this group.  Perhaps you
> would rather just reply that this group discourages that sort of
> request and suggest an alternative.
>

> Neal
>
> by the way, where can I  hire someone to help me?

Message deliberately not trimed