[luau] Almost full /usr partition....

Rick Chavez chavez at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Oct 17 21:03:09 PDT 2002

First cd (change directory) into the directory that you want to move.  Then use
the following command:

    tar  cf  -  .  | (cd newdir; tar xf   -)

Explaination:

1. The first tar will tar eveything and send it to stdout (the f option followed
by a space and then a minus sign denotes this).
2. The pipe (|) takes that stdout from the first tar and sends it to the next
"stuff".
3. The next "stuff" is all in parenthesis which means to run in a subshell.
4. In that subshell, we cd (change directory) to where we want to put the files
and
5. Untar from stdin (which is coming from the pipe).

If run as root, this will preserve all permissions, ownership, dates, and names.
And it does all this without creating any intermediate tar files.
Oh, one more thing.  Once you're happy with the copied files, go ahead and delete
the old ones.  Don't forget to "link" back the appropriate ones.

Good luck.