[luau] Gub'ment accepting public input on DMCA

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Oct 14 23:35:01 PDT 2002

I am a bit concerned that they mainly want to know what specific
"exclusions" to the DMCA should be made.  Some people on Newsforge and
Slashdot said that it may not be productive for our side to create specific
exclusions to the DMCA, because that would weaken our argument that the DMCA
is overbroad and bad policy with chilling effects on technology, academia
and especially the 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Someone on Slashdot compared it to allowing "just a little slavery" rather
than fighting slavery.  I'm not sure if the analogy is accurate, but makes
me think...