[luau] Help with Red Hat install of rwCdRom

Dean Fujioka surfdean at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Oct 14 16:11:01 PDT 2002

Al,
at the Xcdroast website there is a tutorial for lilo, not grub, but you
may find it helpful...

http://www.xcdroast.org/xcdr098/faq-a10.html#2

/2. Why doesn't X-CD-Roast find all of my hardware?
(CD-Burners/CD-ROMs/DVD-Drives)/

A common problem is that X-CD-Roast fails to detect your CD-Writer or
any additional CD-ROM devices you might have. Current Linux
distributions install by default a special mode for CD-Writers, but not
for common CD-ROM drives. This results in that your Writer is usuable,
but your extra CD-ROM drive is not.
It fix that problem and to get all of your devices working, you have to
install that "special" mode for all of them (Not just the CD-writer).
That mode is called "scsi-emulation" and can be easily activated.
SCSI-devices are fine by default and need no special handling.
ATAPI/IDE, parallelport and USB devices need to installed via
scsi-emulation.
A common way how to install scsi-emulation on Linux is described a few
lines further down.

Please see section 2 of the CD-Writing-HOWTO
<http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html> how to configure
your kernel on Linux. (a bit outdated!)

If you use not Linux but any other OS, you have to check the cdrecord
documentation how to access your writer.

*Note about configuring SCSI-emulation in Linux:*

The trick are these two lines (Examples for two drives which are
connected as master and slave on the secondary IDE controller):

/Line for /etc/modules.conf/

    options ide-cd ignore='hdc hdd'

(This tells the IDE-driver to ignore the two devices you want to use
within X-CD-Roast)

-

/Line for /etc/lilo.conf/

    append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

(And this tells the kernel to install scsi-emulation for two drives)

-

If you use grub instead of lilo you might try something like that:

/Example line for /boot/grub/grub.conf or /etc/grub.conf/

    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda6 ide-scsi=/dev/hdc
    ide-scsi=/dev/hdd

Note:
I got a report that if the line above does not work with your grub.conf
you can try this:

    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda6 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi

You might have to load the scsi-emulation driver manually with the
following command.

    /insmod ide-scsi; insmod sg/

Now X-CD-Roast should detect your drives.

Please note that you want to change your /dev/cdrom link from /dev/hdc
or /dev/hdd to /dev/sr0 or /dev/sr1, because the device files changed
through the different driver.

dean