[LinuxBusinessHawaii] Re: [luau] OpenSourceAdvocates

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Sun Oct 13 15:37:01 PDT 2002

On 12 Oct 2002, Warren Togami wrote:
>2) By outright banning proprietary software, we didn't compete based on
>merit.  Instead we used non-technical means to negate the competition
>process.  I'd rather win fairly, and people choose our software
>sincerely.

Point of advice; if a professor asks you to prove or support an assertion,
it is usually best not to re-state the assertion as the response.

>3) Most societies aren't ready for the Open Source Software paradigm.
>The vast majority of IT service providers and developers have no clue
>what it is or how the community works.  They will not transform
>overnight.

If we have to wait until most societies are ready for a new paradigm, then
nothing will happen at all.

I think our biggest disagreement is not about the legislation, but about
the 'paradigm'.  In my opinion, these legislations are not about getting
open source, but getting freedom.  As long as the wording in the
legislation continues to use 'Open Source', then people are going to get
the wrong impression about the goals of the legislation.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org