[LinuxBusinessHawaii] Re: [luau] OpenSourceAdvocates

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Sun Oct 13 14:13:01 PDT 2002

Wow, these are all excellent points that I didn't even consider when I
sent in my last post.  However, it is also true that even without having
the source handy, an organization with enough resources can do stack
traces and network monitoring to make sure no spyware or anything exists
in a product.  In any case, yes, open source would save the government a
lot in strict software purchase price and it may have many other good
effects.  However, there are a few things that might be lacking.  I
think if a proprietary solution is by far the best solution, it should
still be used after some testing.  But here are some examples of
problems that could arise:

1.  If every worker had to adopt open source software, the retraining
costs would be horrendous.  I work essentially taking calls from people
with computer problems, and I can tell you that the average user out
there does not learn new computer concepts easily.  Furthermore, due to
a lot of social welfare types of legislation, a lot of government
workers aren't exactly the top of society.  There are some very
intelligent people who work for the government, but the government also
makes up a lot of silly positions for people who would otherwise be
unemployed.

2.  If the current sysadmins of government servers are not qualified for
unix servers, there would need to be massive restructuring and rehiring
in every IT department.

...I have to do EE homework...

All of these issues could probably be resolved by a very slow adaptation
of open source software, with bills starting at "new software solutions
should strongly consider open source as a viable option" to eventually
(like 10 years from now) "open standards and open source software shall
be the only option allowed in government."

-Eric Hattemer