[luau] Help with Red Hat install of rwCdRom

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Sat Oct 12 16:10:01 PDT 2002

Help.

I have tried for 2 days now to figure out the install from two how-to's
for the new CDRW that I bought for use  on Red hat 7*.  (This box is 7.2
uptodate.)

The OS on the box recognizes the Sony CDRW CRX195A1 just fine as an IDE.
But I can't install the Recording/Playback software into the correct
files.

Almost all of the files that are talked about in the 2 how to's I found
are not on the 7.2 installation I have on the box.

Are these just bad how-to's? One I know now is too old for Red Hat 6*.
They both say
you must make the OS think the IDE CDROM RW is a SCSI.

Ok.

They all,talk about hd?=ide-scsi, but don't tell where in the tree it
is. Is it in /etc/grub or where?  Then it says to delete the /dev/cdrom
and replace it with cdr/cdrw but not where to put it.

It says under grub to add the line to  menu-lst for example.

menu.lst isn't showing any where on the system and neither are the SCSI
modules
for  srO, sr1 etc...
  Or the /dev  for the sr0, sr1 etc...

Can any body point me to a Red Hat how-to which shows where to place
these missing files in the directory tree?

It seems impossible to know where to add a missing file like "menu.lst"
on
a Red Hat system as they have changed the tree structure and startup
files several times
since 6.*. (One of the reasons I don't usually use Red hat any more.)

This box is for burning cd's only. So it has just the CDRW and a sound
card on it and an  HD for the OS and ISO files.

Thanks for any help or suggestions to point to a good how-to.

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043