[luau] CD Rom Burner in Linux or Free BSD

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Wed Oct 2 10:04:00 PDT 2002

http://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/pipermail/luau/2002-September/subject.html

and look for the threads "cd burner"

I got a lot of great responses last month to nearly the exact same question
(I did not inquire about freebsd.)  It turned out that as long as the burner
was made to the atapi or ide compliant, it was okay.  Warren and MonMotha
made the following statements, Warren's first and MonMotha's second.

> Well the thing about the ATAPI (IDE) burners and SCSI burners is that
> they are generally standardized in such a way that in most cases you
> don't need additional drivers in order to use them.  I think the
> individual burning programs are "aware" of many individual models and
> their capabilities, but Linux doesn't have or need this information
> because you select the burning options manually when using mkisofs.
>
> In other words, I *think* any ATAPI burner will work in Linux just
> because they are standardized, kind of like you can use any hard drive
> or CD-ROM without additional drivers.  Somebody please correct me if I'm
> wrong.

For the most part this is true, and it often even extends to USB (and
possibly firewire) external burners.  The only burners I've seen that
isn't standardized are some HP burners (both SCSI and USB, but not IDE
it looks like).  However, Linux has drivers to support them at the
kernel level as well.  cdrecord also has support I do believe.scott