[luau] Overheating with Presario and RH 7.3

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Oct 1 22:19:01 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 21:51, Alvin Murphy wrote:
> Warren, sorry, somehow I deleted your message. You are quite right about
> the problem as I learned at several websites. I have not been brave
> enough yet to apply the patch and recompile the kernel; perhaps at some
> future installfest. I am not sure if the heat was enough to explain some
> of the flakiness I experienced with RH 7.3 (smb would turn itself off,
> same for network, would have to restart); anyway the file transfer
> capabilities were so much better than Mdk 9 I think I may have to go
> back.  What do you think of 8?

Red Hat 8 is certainly much better than Red Hat 7.3.  Better than
Mandrake 9 in some areas, and worse in other areas.

If you install Red Hat 8 wait a week or two and I will send you compiled
kernels to test.  My Sony laptop is very similar in architecture to your
laptop, so a kernel built for me may work for you.  I will be testing
various 2.4.x and 2.5.x kernels with ACPI soon.

BTW, Linus Torvalds asked people to test the 2.5.x series because we're
less than a month away from feature freeze.  There are no reported cases
of filesystem corruption ever since the 2.4-ac IDE layer was forward
ported to 2.5.x, so it is theoretically safe to test now.