[luau] OSEF status?

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Sat Nov 30 23:30:00 PST 2002

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 08:35:42PM -1000, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> We have about 20 sparc 2, 5, 10, and 20 stations, about 7 sun
> monitors, and one sun keyboard/mouse. We need someone with
> some Sun expertise to help.

Are those sparc or ultrasparc stations? If they are the prior,
they are a bit slow to function as graphical terminal servers.
They make nice bridges or routers if there are space SBUS NICs.
Using them as clients to setup a Solaris JumpStart lab would be
another use.

As a metric, it took me about 20 minutes to generate the DSA host
key after a fresh installation of OpenBSD on a sparc2.

> We have nearly 30 power pcs that may or may not be usable, but,
> it sure would be nice to do something with them.

They would make decent low end web servers. The best part about
this platform is that it would take a lot for a script kiddie to
find a working exploit. I had the most luck with Debian in the
past.

-Vince