[luau] OSEF status?

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Sat Nov 30 20:37:01 PST 2002

Ho'ala Greevy wrote:

>quick question for the list,
>

>I've seen the thread several times before but am still nebulous:  Is the
>Open Source Education Foundation officially a non-profit entity?  Also, is
>that the agreed upon name for the org?

We are not official in the sense of having a T.I.N.  We are official in
the sense of mission, name, (Hawai'i Open Source Education Foundation)
Articles of Incorporation.  The attempt to involve many people in the
creation has taken too long.  We were just meeting in town to talk about
the Voyager School Project, and Jeff Zidek was asking the same question.
 It has taken an embarrassingly long time.  The ducks are in a row, so
to speak.  I've decided to file everything this week.  The best thing
about it is that if anyone is uncomfortable with a specific detail, they
can change it.   The time has come to put collaboration aside for the
sake of action.

>With 2002 coming to a close, local businesses will be looking to minimize
>taxable income by placing donations to their favorite organizations...

Period.  Some people, like Sandy and Dusty, have made donations.  We are
sponsored now by Mid-Pac, so at least they have this.  It is likely that
by the time they get ready to file, we will have our own status for
them.  I hate that it has dragged on like this for the very reason you
just raised, it is write-off time.  I made a commitment to Jeff that by
next weekend there will be a page with the mission, articles, filing
status. and any other relevant information for he and others to sink
their teeth into.

Also, moving forward, I am going to try to create more opportunities for
us to deploy computers.  Starting this Tuesday, I am going to be at the
lab we have set up at Pricebuster's Stadium Store from 6-9 p.m.  I will
be there each Tuesday during this time in December.  I will be there on
Saturday from 5-8 p.m.  I will devote three hours each Saturday for the
month of December.  We have nearly 30 p.c.'s that need to be checked out
and tested.  We have about 20 sparc 2, 5, 10, and 20 stations, about 7
sun monitors, and one sun keyboard/mouse.  We need someone with some Sun
expertise to help.  We have nearly 30 power pcs that may or may not be
usable, but, it sure would be nice to do something with them.

If you can help with any of this, then you are welcome.  If you just
want to help sort cables or watch, then, you are welcome.  I'll make the
offer that if you want to use these times as a steady and scheduled
installfest, then I will help any one who wants to put Linux on their PC
or Mac.  In exchange you can help sort cables or something.  Hopefully
by keeping the lab open at steady times, we can get more hands involved.

>thx,
>Ho'ala

Thanks for asking, Ho'ala.  I regret that it has taken this long to
formally incorporate.  I suppose it is good, though, because we have a
BUNCH of stuff with more on the way, we have interested schools, and we
have very FEW hands to help right now.  I never envisioned labor being
the bottleneck, but it is rapidly becoming one.  A teacher at Wailua
High School has asked for a station.

scott