[luau] Tried a USB to serial adapter?

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Fri Nov 29 09:22:00 PST 2002

Jeff Mings wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
>     This is a bit off-topic, but others may also find it interesting:
> Has anyone tried one of the USB to serial port adapters?  I just
> purchased a Dell Poweredge server that has PCI 2.2 slots that are only
> keyed for 3.3v operation.  This means that the 4 serial port RocketPort
> card I have, which is keyed for 5v operation (ala PCI 2.1), won't fit
> into a slot.  I need 3 more serial ports and am considering trying one
> of the units that plug into a USB port and provide 4 serial ports, but I
> have never _really_ trusted USB for "important" things.   Any
> suggestions on these USB to serial adapters?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Jeff

Since we are on this odd and off  topic:

I have a Win 98 box ( that belongs to a client) that doesn't have USB
input on it and we need to run a HP Printer/Copier/Scanner on it.

Can we just install a USB card from Comp USA and Have it work like we
did for a Visor Hand Held on another box?

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.7 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043