[luau] Tried a USB to serial adapter?

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Thu Nov 28 18:29:00 PST 2002

Hi Gang,

    This is a bit off-topic, but others may also find it interesting:
Has anyone tried one of the USB to serial port adapters?  I just
purchased a Dell Poweredge server that has PCI 2.2 slots that are only
keyed for 3.3v operation.  This means that the 4 serial port RocketPort
card I have, which is keyed for 5v operation (ala PCI 2.1), won't fit
into a slot.  I need 3 more serial ports and am considering trying one
of the units that plug into a USB port and provide 4 serial ports, but I
have never _really_ trusted USB for "important" things.   Any
suggestions on these USB to serial adapters?

Thanks in advance,
-Jeff